Microneedling is a process used to rejuvenate the skin, giving it a healthy glow and youthful appearance. This is done by introducing controlled injury into the skin’s dermal and epidermal junction, which induces growth factors, as well as new collagen and elastin production. Microneedling can lift and tighten skin, minimize skin discoloration, reduce the appearance of acne scarring, minimize fine lines and wrinkles, minimize pore size and improve the appearance of stretch marks and scarring. A microneedling instrument consists of multiple needles that penetrate the skin’s surface, allowing it to rejuvenate as it heals.
How does Microneedling work?
The tiny wounds trigger your body’s natural healing process, which in turn stimulates the production of collagen and elastin. As new collagen and elastin grow in and replace old skin, your appearance is renewed. Fresh skin growth means you lose the old skin discolorations, scars, lines, and wrinkles. While you can get microneedling alone, you achieve better results by adding platelet-rich plasma, or PRP, to your microneedling treatment.
How long is recovery?
You should expect your skin to be red for a few days, but you can wear makeup the next day to hide the redness. It takes a little time for your skin to produce collagen and to regenerate new tissues.
When will I see results?
You’ll begin to see a noticeable change within a few weeks, and collagen continues to grow for a little longer, so you’ll see optimal results in about 12 weeks.
What is the Microneedling Pre-Procedure Care?
• Avoid Vitamin E, fish oils, and Ginkgo Biloba for one week prior to treatment.
• Avoid ASA (Abbreviation on a medication that indicates it contains acetylsalicylic acid (Aspirin) 2 weeks before treatment. (Please consult with your physician first if you are on ASA therapy).
• Limit sun exposure
• Avoid anti-histamine and inflammatory drugs one week prior to treatment. These negate the effects of the procedure. The body’s histamine and inflammatory responses are needed post procedure.
• Stop Laser Hair Removal, Electrolysis, Waxing, and Depilatory creams one week prior to treatment.
• Stop topical retinoids (tretinoin and retinoic acid (Retin-A, Renova, Refissa)) Peroxides and Acids, one week prior to treatment.
• If using Accutane, a 6-month waiting period after discontinuation of medication is required.
• Please notify our office if you have ever been diagnosed with Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV)/ Cold Sores- You may require prophylactic therapy 3 days before and 3 days after.
• Do not shave the day of procedure.
• There should not be significant changes in the skin prior to treatment (e.g., excessive dryness, skin breakdown, or acne breakouts).
• Skin must be clean without lotion, makeup, deodorant, powder, perfume, or sunscreen.
What can I expect to see immediately after a receiving Microneedling treatment?
• Immediate pinpoint bleeding may occur, which will resolve within 10 minutes.
• Minor to moderate redness and swelling will occur for 1-2 days.
• Minor peeling and flakiness will occur after a few days. Don’t pick at the loose skin.
• Call the spa if you experience excessive redness, swelling, pain or drainage as they might indicate an infection.
How many Microneedling treatments do I need?
A series of 3-6 treatments is recommended to achieve desired results.
What is the Microneedling Post-Procedure Care?
• We recommend taking over the counter Zinc, and Biotin.
• Avoid direct sun and heat. This includes simple day-to-day tasks such as gardening, cooking over a hot stove for a long period of time, sitting next to a bonfire or fireplace, etc
• Discontinue use of any Alpha-Hydroxy products. You may resume your homecare regimen when skin is no longer flaking and peeling.
• If you must wear makeup 2 days post-procedure, we recommend mineral based products only.
• NO anti-inflammatory medications 2 weeks post-procedure unless prescribed.
• Use hydrating and reparative products. Products rich in soothing and healing ingredients are best to encourage new, healthy cell growth. Peptides, antioxidants, stem cells, Vitamin A, C, and E, and growth factors work very well.
• Use physical sunscreen Zinc SPF 30. Sun care products should be applied no less than every 30-90 minutes.
• DO NOT go outside without sun protection (even on a cloudy day).
• Do not scratch or peel treated areas.
• Limit exercise the first week
• Drink plenty of water
Can be used to treat:
Decolletage (low cut neckline)